Sunday, November 23, 2008

Ubuntu update

As I have said before, I am happily using Ubuntu as my primary operating system on my desktop computer. It took me a while to get here, but I did after several difficult issues getting it installed on my other crappy computer. There were the issues of use as well, considering I was installing it not knowing the least bit how to use it. So, I guess you could say I taught myself the basics of Ubuntu. Aren't I awesome?
Either way, as most experiments encounter, I have had my share of problems. A lot of them had to do with sound. For a while I could only get temporary sound, and each time I had to reinstall the ALSA sound base. Fortunately, the update to 8.10 (from 8.04) fixed that, and allowed me to use OSS, which completely solved the problem. The only other problem is that I cannot get sound in flash videos. It's really annoying, I can't use YouTube.

Another problem I had was with my monitor. I got a 22 inch Samsung monitor for my birthday and for the life of me could not get it to recognize the fact that it was a 22 inch and not a 21 inch. Also the fact I had to adjust the resolution every time I turned on the computer, which got really old really fast. Fortunately, it was another problem solved by updating to 8.10. Let's just say I was very glad for 8.10.

Something I am noticing, and I am pretty sure it's the websites and not my computer, but any website I go to where I need to do some kind of online transaction (eg. banking, paying bills etc.) the page will not load. It's really fucking annoying because I can only pay my cell phone bill online, and I can only do certain bank transactions online. I went on my laptop earlier (it's a shitty old Mac) and I could get on my cell phone company website on there, which is balls. But I am pretty sure it's something to do with the website being a piece of shit, because my bank site has been intermittently working (generally it doesn't work when I need it most), so I know it is possible for it to work.

The Bluetooth not working has been an ongoing problem to the point where I have given up caring. It's not even that significant, but the annoying thing is that I can't use my wireless keyboard and mouse. It's a bitch because the mouse I use sucks. But it's one of the minor problems.

Overall, though, I am extremely satisfied with Ubuntu. I will never willingly return to Windows. You can do so much more with Ubuntu, and people make the software for it because they care about the software (since it's all open source). Proprietary stuff is complete bullshit if you ask me, since this is a much more effective way to do things. It also leaves people more satisfied.

No comments: