Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Facebook Applications

Since we're all social network whores these days (there is absolutely no escaping it, no matter how l33t/cool/independant/original you think you are) I decided to fully come out of the closet with my annoying Facebook habit by describing some popular(?) apps people use on their Facebook profiles (because no one uses MySpace anymore...right?)

I just went on my Facebook profile today and realized how many useless applications I have on my profile. I removed at least six apps, and I still have approximately 18 more that I deem "neccessary" even though none of them are neccessary. I removed some of the game apps that just keep spamming my email and that are getting on my fucking nerves. Like the Triumph application. It seemed pretty cool at first, and you got a lot of money and supplies to start. But after a while, it would email me every time I got attacked. Sure you get an additional $100,000 when you get attacked, but sometimes the link in the email would not work, or if you clicked them out of sequence, they wouldn't work at all. And the sheer volume of times I got attacked was ridiculous. I could run out of soliders after three days because some fucking moron would attack me five times in a row and there's absolutely nothing stopping them from doing so if they happen to be stronger than I am. So, if you cannot afford to be attacking people on a constant basis, every single day on Triumph, it gets really annoying really fast.

Another application I never liked right from the beginning was "Attack!". No matter what I fucking do, I never win any goddamn battles unless the odds are stacked very heavily in my favour (eg. the ratio of my armies to theirs is something like 3:1). Needless to say losing everything got really old realy fast. I do not think I, at any point, owned a single card within the six or seven games I played while I had the app.

Now that I have shit on a couple apps, there are a few that I do enjoy quite a bit that deserve mention. One of them is the My Heros Ability application. I don't know if I'm a rare breed, being a nerdy kid who had daydreams about having a superpower, but this app, on a small scale, makes me affectionately remember positive aspects of childhood. Don't tell anyone, but I still wish I had superpowers. This application is fun and requires little maintenance, but there is enough to do if you wish to play with it more than a little. MHA is pretty much set up in the RPG style (you can even customize your name) where you have stats and levels. At the beginning you are randomly assigned a power from several available (they're adding more too). If you are not satisfied with your power (if for some reason you have a real problem with psionics) you can reroll your power. But it resets your stats. So no cheating. You can have multiple powers which you "learn" with ability points (acquired upon levelling up), including Advanced abilites and upcoming Demi-God abilities). For example, I got the ability of Flight upon adding the application. I saved up enough ability points to learn the Spontaneous Regeneration ability (which kind of sucks unless you're going into battle with one or more other people... it's a healing power). You can join a group, which allows you to share XP in battle, and you can fight NPCs and you can also enter PvP areas. Just check it out; I can spend an entire blog post on this app. The best part is it's regularily updated. It's not one of those shit apps that gets made and then the creator doesn't pay any attention to it.



Something I would be looking for in terms of Facebook applications is something for Neopets. I think it would be cool to show my information on my Facebook page. It's like what happened with Xbox Live, I might find people who use it too on Facebook. I found three of my friends on Xbox Live through Facebook.

Alright it is time to conclude this post, considering it has taken me about an hour to compose it (due to getting distracted by things such as Facebook and MySpace). It is time to go play on Neopets.

No comments: