Monday, April 7, 2008

holy crap.. my bigger Ubuntu plunge

So, I randomly decided on Friday that I would install Ubuntu on here (my main computer). Installing it went without a hitch (unlike when I tried to install it on my other computer). Now that I have it running, I simply love it. But, on the other hand, I am having some major problems:

- I seem to be completely incompetent when it comes to the terminal
- it will not recognize my Bluetooth mouse (it knows its there, it just won't connect)
- my wireless card is not recognized at all
- my printer is absolutely fucked (although that was going on pre-Ubuntu I think)
- Ubuntu will only output sound sporadically... even though this seems common, I cannot find a solution
- Pidgin will not play sounds, even though I have configured it to
- I haven't figured out how to get XChat to recognize my mIRC commands yet
- BOINC will not load on startup

A couple of those are very minor problems. The major problems are the wireless and the Bluetooth (in that order). The sound thing is severely annoying (both output and Pidgin), and the printer thing will become more significant as time goes on. Especially when I'm asked what happened to my barely-a-year-old PostScript printer.

It's going to take me a long, long time to get completely used to this. Especially considering you have to configure everything (and yes, I mean everything). That's one of the downsides. The upside, though, is that there is much more you can do... there are pretty much no limits as to how you customize Linux! But, just in case, this is still a dual-boot system, with a fully serviceable install of Microshaft Windows on it, you know, just in case I fuck something up....which I tend to do sometimes.

No comments: