Monday, January 7, 2008

iPod touch + Last.fm = hate

As I have said, I got an iPod touch for Christmas. I figured since past iPods were so successful, they would keep the same basic configuration for everything. Unfortunately, that was not the case. I was happily scrobbling my tracks (see definition of "scrobbling" below, taken from www.UrbanDictionary.com ) on my old iPod nano with a simple parsing of the iTunesDB. Since said file is such an integral part of the whole iTunes dealy, I thought they would never get rid of it. I was very wrong. So, now I am scrambling to look for something that can scrobble my music. But not before the whole album art fiasco. Why the hell can't there be a centralized album art server, kind of like www.musicbrainz.org is for song tags? People can just query the database whenever they need album art. But I digress. I found a program called MobileScrobbler that is an application that is directly on the iPod touch (it also works for iPhone). Unfortunately, you need to install an application that will allow you to put applications on your iPod touch/iPhone. Silly, eh? So, I tried this. The program that allows for applications, called AppSnapp, would not install on my iPod. The FAQ of the program site says that it's because I have run the AppSnapp installer too many times, and I need to restore. A little drastic, but I oblige and do so. I try again and get the same thing. Now I'm fucking annoyed. I tried posting on the Last.fm group for the program, but that was only a couple minutes ago. I'm afraid of what it might be though. This program supposedly exploits a TIFF glitch in the iPod/iPhone. The sites for AppSnapp and MobileScrobbler both make reference to firmware version 1.1.1, although the most recent version is 1.1.2. This might mean that Apple has since updated the software to fix this glitch, and therefore rendered both programs unusable. That would be really fucking lame, especially for such a benevolent program like this. Almost as lame as the fact that they changed the entire system around, so the iTunesDB is no more. I hate large companies.


 

1. Scrobble

260 up, 19 down

When Last.fm automatically sends the name of each song played by audio player, they call this "scrobbling."

The application will scrobble your playlist.

No comments: