Friday, November 18, 2011

Whoa...

My poor blog, how I have been neglecting you so. So much has been going on, I can't even decide where to start. So I won't bother, and will stick with what is current.

Oh the technological front, I do believe I will be getting new internet. I am currently with Yak, on DSL, which is supposed to give me 10 mb/s download. When I first got it, I was getting around 13 mb/s, which was exciting and awesome. Nowadays, I only get 8 at the most. I have nothing against Yak or anything, but if I see a better deal I am stupid not to take it. I found a company called Acanac, which offers cable at 24 mb/s around here. I was surprised since I thought I had the only internet that is faster than Rogers or Bell. They must be new, and I was excited that they offered it here. It's around the same price a month as what I am paying now. There are two catches, one really big. I have to pay for the entire year up front. That works out to be over $500 at once. I can do it, it's just a matter of the interest I might accrue over the time before the term ends. The other catch is that I have to buy a modem. The modem, at minimum, by finding one on eBay or Kijiji, will cost around $100. I do think I will do it, since it's better in the long run, but it's a painful decision since I've already spent far too much money lately. Stupid food and toiletries... But it's all better than having my bank account and patience raped by Rogers or Bell. I am hoping that my sacrifices will contribute to the downfall of these two tyrants.

I am currently bidding on a new modem on eBay. I am looking to get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, since that works best with higher speed connections. I can get a DOCSIS 2.0 for around $40, and my max bid on the 3.0 is $80US, plus $9US for S&H, which is around $92CAN total. Assuming I get it, this is a better price than the $125 that Acanac is selling it for. It's the same model too, I believe. Let's just hope that no one else bids on it.

No comments: